Oprah ‘baffled’ by nasty Trump

OPRAH Winfrey has admitted being baffled after she was described as “biased and slanted” by Donald Trump after a report she filed as an interviewer on 60 Minutes.

The talk show host came under fire from the president following her stint on the famed show, in which she met a group of voters in Michigan — some of whom had voted for Mr Trump in the 2016 US election — to hear their thoughts on his first year in office.

Mr Trump tweeted: “Just watched a very insecure Oprah Winfrey, who at one point I knew very well, interview a panel of people on 60 Minutes.

“The questions were biased and slanted, the facts incorrect. Hope Oprah runs so she can be exposed and defeated just like all of the others!” Winfrey told chat show host Ellen DeGeneres of her reaction to his tweet.

“I woke up and I just thought …” She shrugged and held her hands up in the air to display her confusion, and added: “And, I don’t like giving negativity power, so I just thought … what?” Winfrey also said Mr Trump’s comments made her look back at the footage to see if she had been fair.

“What I actually really did was I went back and looked at the tape to see if there was any place that that could be true,” she said.

Winfrey said she thought part of the interview — which saw the panel discuss topics including Mr Trump’s comment about people from “s**thole” countries and tax laws — needed to be fixed to make it “more balanced”.

She added: “I was working very hard to do the opposite of what I was hate-tweeted about so, it’s OK.”

Mr Trump’s remarks about Winfrey reignited the conversation about her possibly running for office, after she sparked speculation that she could be a strong contender following her rousing speech about equality at the Golden Globe awards.

She later said she had no desire to put herself forward as a Democratic candidate for the 2020 election.

Meghan and Harry’s anthrax scare

PRINCE Harry and Meghan Markle have been caught up in a frightening anthrax scare after an envelope containing white powder was sent to Kensington Palace.

The letter was personally addressed to the royal couple but was intercepted by staff before it reached them.

Ms Markle and Prince Harry — who are due to wed on May 19 — have been informed of the incident, London’s Evening Standard newspaper reports.

Analysis of the powder found that it was harmless.

According to the Evening Standard, the incident is being played down officially by police but it has put Scotland Yard on high alert ahead of the royal wedding.

Ms Markle and Prince Harry are due to ride around a public route to greet crowds in a carriage after they wed at St George’s Chapel.

The carriage procession will travel along a route through the streets of Windsor before heading back to Windsor Castle.

“They hope this short journey will provide an opportunity for more people to come together around Windsor and to enjoy the atmosphere of this special day,” Kensington Palace has said.

Last week, Vanessa Trump, the daughter-in-law of US President Donald Trump, was taken to a New York hospital after she opened a piece of mail containing an unidentified white powder that was later determined to be non-hazardous.

The wife of the President’s eldest son Donald junior, had opened a letter addressed to her husband.

She complained of nausea following her exposure and two other people who were present were also taken to the hospital.

Early this month, an investigation was launched after a “white substance” was sent to former US President Barack Obama’s office in Washington DC. The substance is thought to be baby powder.

There have been also be ongoing threats against the royal family.

Last October a terror suspect allegedly encouraged extremists to attack Prince George at school.

A 31-year-old man is due to face trial in connection with the threat in April.

How much celebs donated to gun cause

NOTHING gives a movement that extra touch of glamour quite like star power. So the young survivors behind March for our Lives will be delighted that Hollywood’s most glamorous activists are throwing their weight behind the cause.

Famous names including Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, Amy Schumer and Cher have voiced their support for the action to prevent gun violence, with Oprah, the Clooneys and Steven Spielberg promising donations of $US500,000 ($640,000) each.

“Cameron good talking to you last night. All of your bravery is amazing. I stand with you guys,” Bieber tweeted Cameron Kasky, the 17-year-old student from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High who created the #NeverAgain hashtag and Facebook page after 17 people were shot dead at his school in Parkland, Florida.

George Clooney started the financial ball rolling on Tuesday, announcing in a statement that he and Amal were “so inspired by the courage and eloquence” of the Florida students. The activist couple promised to attend the March 24 rally and make a donation in the names of the couple’s eight-month-old twins, Alexander and Ella.

Hours later, film producer Jeffrey Katzenberg and wife Marilyn said they would donate the same amount, calling the students “brave young leaders” who have “taken their pain and grief and turned it into action”.

Director Steven Spielberg said the students in Florida and across the country were “demonstrating their leadership with a confidence and maturity that belies their ages”, promising he and wife Kate would also put in $US500,000.

Oprah Winfrey said the young people reminded her of “the Freedom Riders of the 60s who also said we’ve had ENOUGH and our voices will be heard,” vowing she too would match the Clooneys’ donation.

Gaga said she was “speechless at their courage” and “proud that these kids and young adults are our future”, while Schumer exhorted her Twitter followers to “demand that lawmakers do their jobs and take action to prevent gun violence”.

In a tweet almost entirely in capitals and littered with exclamation marks, Cher said she believed the movement could scare Congress into action, adding “KIDS CAN BE CATALYSTS 4 CHANGE.”

It is remarkable evidence of the age of celebrity activism we live in today, promising that the march in Washington and across the US will indeed be “bigger than anyone could ever imagine”, as student leader and Florida shooting survivor Sofie Whitney told news.com.au this week.

This is the #MeToo and #TimesUp era, when the great and the good dress in black at the year’s most glittering events to draw attention to the issue of sexual harassment and assault.

Oprah has already been tipped to run for President after her rousing Golden Globes speech about racial, gender and class divides — and her support for these determined youngsters indicates this will indeed be a historic moment.

The teenagers at the centre of the tornado are well aware of the task ahead of them, and determined to keep the momentum going. Unlike the Sandy Hook survivors, they are old enough to be heard by President Donald Trump and Congress.

They have been meeting with state senators, lobbying representatives and discussing legislation. “I think it’s just our way of grieving,” said Sofie, 18. “We couldn’t just sit back while we let everyone forget about us, we need to make sure this never had to happen again.

“No kid should have to do this for themselves, no kid should have to watch their friends die, but we did and we have to do this now.”

The gun lobby is evidently scared of what they could achieve, with a sickening conspiracy theory circulating that the young people are actually paid actors. Internet trolls have suggested students including Sofie, Cameron and Emma Gonzalez are actually “crisis actors” hired by the FBI and Democratic Party elites to destabilise the Trump administration.

That only seems to prove just how powerful today’s youth really is.

Streep blows up at Weinstein’s legal move

HARVEY Weinstein wants a judge to dismiss a federal sexual misconduct lawsuit against him and invoked the words and actions of Oscar-winning actresses to do it.

But she’s not tolerating it.

Oscar-winning actress Meryl Streep has struck out at the disgraced movie mogul’s lawyers for using her name in an attempt to get a class-action lawsuit against him dismissed.

The triple Oscar-winning star said their action was “pathetic and exploitative” after they cited her saying was never harassed by the producer in an attempt to shut the case down.

The lawyers were responding to six women suing Weinstein and the Weinstein Sexual Enterprise, which they said included his brother Bob and a studio they co-founded, The Weinstein Company.

In a statement, Streep said: “Harvey Weinstein’s attorneys use of my (true) statement — that he was not sexually transgressive or physically abusive in our business relationship — as evidence that he was not abusive with many OTHER women is pathetic and exploitative.

“The criminal actions he is accused of conducting on the bodies of these women are his responsibility, and if there is any justice left in the system he will pay for them — regardless of how many good movies, made by many good people, Harvey was lucky enough to have acquired or financed.”

While the lawyers did not go as far as to say Streep’s comment was evidence he was not abusive to others, they did argue the case should be dismissed because it is “fatally overbroad” and would include all women he has ever met.

Lawyers Phyllis Kupferstein and Mary E. Flynn wrote this would include actresses such as Streep and Jennifer Lawrence who have not made allegations of sexual misconduct.

They pointed to Streep saying Weinstein had always been respectful with her during their collaborations in a statement to the press.

They did not mention that Streep also praised the “heroes” who made allegations about his behaviour, which she said was “inexcusable” and an “abuse of power”.

Lawrence told Oprah Winfrey that she had known Weinstein since she was 20 and said “he had only ever been nice to me,” according to the filing written by attorneys Phyllis Kupferstein and Mary Flynn.

They did not mention her adding: “Except for the moments that he wasn’t, and then I called him an a**hole.”

The filing also questioned the veracity of claims that the women who sued were under duress because of threats Weinstein made if they complained. It cited Gwyneth Paltrow as an example, saying she went on to work with Weinstein and win an Oscar for Shakespeare in Love in 1998 after he was accused of harassing her during the filming of Emma in 1994.

“Paltrow was not so offended that she refused to work with Weinstein again, nor did her career suffer as a result of her rebuffing his alleged advances,” the court papers said.

They were arguing against the New York lawsuit claiming the statute of limitation on allegations do not apply because the accusers were allegedly under duress not to make the claims earlier.

“Paltrow was not so offended that she refused to work with Weinstein again, nor did her career suffer as a result of her rebuffing his alleged advances,” the lawyers wrote.

The lawsuit, which could potentially involve hundreds of other women, said Weinstein assaulted young women trying to break into Hollywood when they were alone with him and that his former film companies operated like an organised crime group to conceal widespread sexual harassment and assaults.

Representatives for Lawrence, Streep and Paltrow did not immediately reply to messages from The Associated Press seeking comment.

Lawyer Elizabeth Fegan, who filed the lawsuit on behalf of six actresses, said her team looks forward to showing that “Weinstein and his enablers should be held responsible for decades of assaults and cover-ups.” “If Weinstein thinks he will win by twisting women’s words against them, he fails to understand the law on sexual assault and the depravity of his own conduct,” Fegan wrote in reply to an email.

At least 75 women have told the news media that Weinstein harassed, behaved inappropriately toward them or assaulted them.

Weinstein, 65, denies all allegations of non-consensual sex.

Inside Rihanna’s incredible 30th birthday

RIHANNA rang in her 30th birthday with an elegant dinner in New York with close family and friends — followed by a champagne-flushed party with a performance from Toni Braxton.

New York Post’s Page Six reports, RiRi celebrated her milestone birthday at the luxuriant Landmark Rooms with stars including Paris Hilton and Leonardo DiCaprio, who snuck into the party later.

Also, there was Rihanna’s billionaire Saudi boyfriend, Hassan Jameel, whom sources say she looked “very close with” all night.

REVEALED: Duchess Kate sports new ‘tattoo’

Rihanna’s group shared a four-course meal at The Grill, before moving to the landmarked Pool space for the afterparty, where Braxton performed.

An insider exclusively told Page Six TV: “It was a really elegant black-tie event. Rihanna and her guests dined on gnudi with caviar and peppered filet mignon, washed down with a lot of champagne.

“The dinner was followed by a big party at The Pool. Rihanna was with her new boyfriend, who was at her side all night, and Toni Braxton performed.”

Other sources say Braxton is revered among RiRi’s circle of friends, and the birthday girl “is a huge fan” who was “clearly delighted” to have the recently engaged singer perform six songs.

CHRIS CORNELL: singer ‘wasn’t a junkie’

“They crushed hundreds of bottles of champagne, and Leo DiCaprio snuck into the afterparty through a side door.”

DiCaprio, 43, has remained friends with Rihanna after she briefly dated one of his friends in 2015, we’re told.

Other guests included Rihanna’s family and executives from Roc Nation including Shawn Pecas and OG Juan Perez, who was looking pretty sharp considering it was for his birthday that Jay-Z racked up that epic US$91,135 (A$117,000) bar tab just days earlier on Sunday, as exclusively revealed by Page Six.

Meanwhile, other sources tell us that Rihanna, who wore a vibrant purple gown for the party, is “really into her boyfriend Hassan. They seemed to be really close all night.”

Earlier in the day, Rihanna had shared a sweet shoutout to her mother Monica on Instagram along with a throwback photo from her childhood.

Monica also gushed about her daughter on Instagram, writing, “Happy 30th. God’s blessings to my 1st born. The sweetest, most humble person I know, and most loving daughter ever. Lots of love back to you on your special day.”

Rihanna’s former ex-boyfriend Chris Brown, who assaulted her in 2009, posted a birthday message to her on Instagram. But RiRi is reported “tired of the whole Chris Brown thing”.

This article first appeared in Page Six and is republished here with permission.

Rocker’s wife: ‘He wasn’t a junkie’

THE widow of the late Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell, has revealed in a new interview that she doesn’t believe her husband intended to die.

Speaking to Good Morning America, Vicky Cornell said that Chris “would never have ever left this world [on purpose]” and was far from a “rock star junkie” before he was found dead in May in a Detroit, Michigan, hotel room.

“He wanted to be there for his family, for his children … he loved his life,” she said in the interview with Robin Roberts, which aired in the US on Wednesday.

Vicky revealed that Chris had long battled addiction, and that she believed he was too impaired to make decisions on the night that he died in Detroit after a Soundgarden gig.

“He was the best husband, the greatest father,” Vicky said, in the emotional interview. “I lost my soulmate and the love of my life.”

Chris Cornell was found dead in the bathroom of his hotel room in Detroit after a Soundgarden show in Detroit on May 18. Authorities ruled his death a suicide.

His wife, however, believes there’s a different story.

“My husband was the furthest thing from a rock star junkie. He just wasn’t [those things],” she said.

The musician also had drugs in his system.

The rocker had a prescription for the drug Ativan, which is used to treat anxiety.

The toxicology report released on June 2 showed he had lorazepam in his system along with pseudoephedrine, a decongestant; naloxone, which is used to counter effects of opioids; butalbital, a sedative, and caffeine, according to the Detroit Free Press.

The report also stated that the drugs “did not contribute to the cause of death”.

“You believe it was the addiction that led him to do what he did that night, in taking his life?” Roberts asked the mum of two.

“I don’t think that he could make any decisions, because of the level of impairment,” Vicky said.

Vicky became emotional when she spoke about feeling she could have done more to save her husband’s life.

“I know that people say that you can’t blame yourself, and I’m trying not to, but there were signs,” she said.

Vicky had previously stated she had spoken with Chris after the show and he was slurring his words, saying he may have taken “an extra Ativan or two”.

“People think that addiction is like, ‘Oh, you were an addict,’ and people don’t recognise it as a disease, and I was, I feel, guilty of the same thing,” she said. “You think addiction is a choice, and it’s not.”

The couple had been married for 13 years and have two children, Toni, 13, and son, Christopher, 12.

Chris also had another daughter, Lillian, age 17, from a previous marriage to Susan Silver, who managed Soundgarden.

If you or someone you love is in crisis or needs support right now, please call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or BeyondBlue on 1300 224 636. If it is an emergency please call 000.

Jay-Z runs up outrageous bar tab

JAY-Z had one expensive night out in Manhattan on Sunday, dropping more than $139,000 to celebrate the birthday of Juan “OG” Perez, his close friend and president of Roc Nation Sports.

Jay skipped the All-Star game to take OG Juan and a group of Roc Nation execs to Zuma in New York’s Midtown for dinner, picking up the tab of $16,450 ($US13,000).

Then, the group headed uptown to Made in Mexico in Inwood, spending $11,390 ($US9000) on drinks, including Jay’s D’Ussé cognac, followed by a stop at nearby nightclub Playroom, where — even though they were, by this point, down to a group of six — they ordered and paid full price for 40 bottles of Ace of Spades Champagne, which is owned by Jay.

The rapper was seen handing bottles out to other tables in the club.

Also at the celebration was Jay Brown, Jay’s cousin Emory Jones and Desiree Perez, OG Juan’s wife and Roc Nation’s chief operating officer.

The stunned Playroom server posted Jay’s check on Snapchat, which came to a whopping $115,334 ($US110,000) which included an epic $13,920 ($US11,000) tip. Hova must have had one hell of a hangover on Monday morning.

This article was originally published in the New York Post and has been republished here with permission.